Tuesday, January 20, 2009

my dad

i love that man. this picture is one of my favorites... not sure why... maybe it's the look of playfulness that's between us, like i was trying to take something from him or trying to tickle him...or maybe it's the awesome clothes we were sporting... i'm not sure what was actually happening in the picture or why it was taken, but i'm glad it was.


my dad's health has been declining over the past months. it started out being his liver that needed to be replaced and being put on the transplant list was the solution. then, as the doctors looked further it was cancer... a very rare kind that the hospital had only seen one slightly similar case of. so off to another doctor, who finally said last week that, even if they had a million dollars, there is nothing they can do.


so this is where i am ... in the midst of telling my dad goodbye, as he is in hospice care for pain management...i was telling sara today as we walked out of the store while she was crying and reaching for the ladies she was leaving, "goodbyes are ok... we will see them again." i got in the car and lost it... realizing this is what God has been telling my heart for the past week. goodbyes are ok and i will see him again. i don't understand this part of the journey, why things like this hurt so deeply... but i trust Him.


thanks for listening.
i am going to spend time with my family... to soak up my dad and love on my mom. just wanted to update you on my life and let you know i am pushing back taking orders
for awhile...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about your dad. It breaks my heart. I am praying. May your time together be precious, sweet, and full of wonderful memories.

The Heath's said...

love you and your fam so much! Praying for all of you...and love your dad's mustache in the first pic. AWESOME.

Marci said...

Magen, that old picture of you and your dad brings me to tears. I am actually attending the funeral for my best friend Michele's father today...he passed away Friday after a long battle with ALS. So today I am particularly reminded of that sweet, sweet love affair we daughters have with our daddies. I love you sweet friend and you're in my prayers.

Christy said...

thank you for sharing magen. i love you and hurt for you while you are walking through this dark season. it is funny how God uses our children sometimes to speak to us. glad he encouraged you with that yesterday. see you tonite!

kelly said...

magen - i am so, so sorry. i cannot imagine what you're going through right now. i know we don't know each other that well & i don't know your sweet dad, but let me say that just looking @ these pics & hearing your words about him tell volumes of the man he is. what a gift it sounds like he has been to you in this life. what a gift a strong father is - more than words can express.
blessings to you as you & your family walk through this together. i'll be thinking of you.

Stacy said...

I love these pictures. Your Dad is an amazing man. I love him. We're praying for your family. Don't ever forget that God knows what he's doing, even if it's not "our way". He loves us more than we can imagine. Give him a hug for me. I'm here when you need me.

allison said...

Magen you all are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry to hear all this about your dad. Love you guys.